Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 5: Fettucine Alfredo



Today's recipe comes from Italy.

Well, from a friend's Italian grandmother, anyway. The only thing I can say about it is, it beats the daylights out of the stuff that comes in a jar! Like, this Alfredo sauce took the jar stuff (all billion kinds) and went all Chuck Norris on them! Or maybe Bruce Lee, depending on your upbringing.

This sauce is so very creamy! Totally unhealthy (but that makes the best foods)! I'm beginning to think I don't know how to make a health conscious meal... Meh! I'll die happy! (No, not really! I keep my health in mind when I eat! Sheesh!)

Ingredients:

1 lb. Fettucine noodles
4 quarts boiling, salted water
1 cup unsalted Plugra butter, softened (Plugra butter is a European-style butter that is higher in fat than ordinary butter. I couldn't find any so I just used regular unsalted butter with a 1/4 cup cooking creme.)
1/3 to 1/2 cup Parmesano Reggiano cheese. (Freshly grated is best, but the brand I picture worked brilliantly!)

I forgot to get a picture of the noodles, but any fettucine noodles will do.
Directions:

1. Boil water in whatever pan you use to do such a thing.

2. Melt butter over very low heat. (I used a double boiler.) 

(Whisk in creme if you are using regular butter and not European-style.)

3. Whisk in grated Parmesan cheese and continue whisking over a low heat until the cheese melts and the butter/cheese sauce becomes a creamy consistency.

4. Drop fettucine in boiling water. Cook until noodles float to the top of the pot, drain and place in a large pasta bowl.

5. Toss with sauce.



6. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and fresh parsley.

I added chicken to mine. I simply baked boneless skinless chicken breasts at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes then finished them up in my wok. Then tossed in with the oh so saucy noodles!

We really loved this meal and I won't ever be buying the jar stuff again!

No comments:

Post a Comment