Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 15: Empanadas



We had some of that guacamole leftover, so I thought I'd make a dish to use it. (Not that it was in danger of going bad in my house, but putting it on a dinner was way better than late-night snacking on a whole bag of Tostitos all by myself when everyone else was sleeping 'cause I don't like sharing the awesome!)

The guacamole was too good for plain ol' tacos! I decided on empanadas!

Mom and Aunt Judy call these "pandas" but I'm not sure if they think that's the name or just what they call them. Either way, these are a nice change-up dish to the typical "Mexican night."

Plus, I needed a dish for my guacamole! Win-win!

These are simply biscuits flattened and wrapped around taco meat, covered in a cheesy meat sauce (and my guacamole). Then baked until golden brown and lovely!

Empanada press

Jay rolling out the biscuits

Mmmm, done baking!

We could have used the apples (seen in the biscuit rolling pic) to make a yummy dessert, but that is another post.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
6 Grands biscuits (not the flaky kind)
1 package taco seasoning (or make your own, I preferred time saver this time)
1/4 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes (or chop your own, about 14 1/2 oz.)
1 cup salsa con queso (can make your own here too, but I used jar stuff... shame)


Directions:

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees (F).

2. Brown meat. Drain and return to skillet.

3. Flatten biscuits to 4 1/2 inch circles and 1/4 inch thickness. Place on ungreased baking sheet. (We used my rolling pin and my lovely pizza stone.)

4. Stir in taco seasoning and water to browned meat. Remove from heat.

5. Place about 2 tablespoons meat mix in center of each biscuit and fold dough over to form turnover and seal. (I used our empanada presses, but this can easily be done by hand.) Leave remaining meat mix in skillet.

6. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes.

7. While the biscuits are baking, add tomatoes with juice and salsa con queso to remaining meat mix and cook over low heat. Simmer until turnovers are done, stirring occasionally.

8. Top empanadas with cheesy meat sauce. Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment