Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 23: Pork Roast





Look at how juicy that is!

When I was younger, I refused to make roast! The one time I tried, it came out dry and kinda burnt. Definitely not anything I was proud of serving!

On top of that, it didn't matter what type of roast it was, I was raised to make roast with brown gravy. Yes, really!

Then, I watched a LOT of cooking shows! Almost 24/7 was Food Network on in my house! (Alton Brown will forever be my favorite!)

They taught me that I knew next to nothing culinarily! I was so naive in my cooking. I held so many misconceptions!

They taught me that the best way to keep a roast from drying out is pan searing it before you put it either in the oven or crock pot! (I wish I had a pic of that because fitting that 4 pound roast in the wok was fun!) So, I rubbed some spices and herbs (I used a pre-made blend) on it, seared it on every available side for a couple minutes each, and put it in the crock pot! So, so juicy!

After searing but before cooking
Also, they taught me that sometimes you really need to keep the brown gravy away! For this pork roast, I used chicken stock, a little white cooking wine, and some cornstarch. Oh, man, did that add to the flavor! And, I didn't have to make it into gravy afterwards, it did it while it cooked. Brilliant!

I'd probably make brown gravy for a beef roast though. Or maybe a red wine reduction. (Ha! That sounds all snooty and chef-like!)

After it had cooked for 4 hours, I added green pepper to the veggie mix. That was a pretty good idea! It added a little kick.

In all, I think it cooked 5 hours, and it was torture smelling it all day! But worth it!! So very worth it!

"Please sir, may I have some?"


Ingredients:

1 4-5 pound pork roast
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp basil
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp thyme
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp lemon peel
2 tsp celery salt
2 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp grated ginger
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup white cooking wine
3 Tbsp cornstarch
5-6 medium potatoes
1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, quartered
1 medium green pepper, sliced

Directions:

1. Mix together the onion powder, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, lemon peel, celery salt, paprika, and grated ginger in a bowl. Rub it on every side of the roast and let sit for five minutes.

2. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in your skillet and sear the roast on every side for a couple minutes each.

3. Place the roast in the crockpot.

4. In a medium saucepan (not on the heat) mix together the chicken stock and the cornstarch thoroughly. Add the cooking wine and heat. Do not let it boil. Pour it into the crockpot over the roast.

5. Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 4 hours.

6. Prepare your veggies and add them to the crockpot and let cook on high for another hour, or until the veggies are done to your taste. I put the bell peppers on top, not in the stock, to steam them.

7. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment