Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 7: Mini Chicken Pot Pies

I know. Pot pies are not everybody's favorite. The 15-year-old never cared for them that much. It was the one food he didn't eat as though we never fed him.

He was always "sick" and then I'd find bits of whatever he scrounged from the pantry when I wasn't looking. Candy wrappers in the couch or potato chip bags or whatever those rice cake thingies were! (Seriously, he found rice cake monstrosities more appetizing than pot pies!)

To be fair, serving the processed frozen things that they called pies is something I'm not really proud of. Tasteless and with enough sodium to send anybody's blood pressure sky high! Then I found the recipe for these quick yummy things:

This pic does NOT do justice!

They look all wonky, but that doesn't mean they taste bad, just that I need lessons in staging.

Who knew a simple can of flaky biscuits and leftover chicken from a few nights ago could turn into this? Not saying it's healthy (just better than the processed things.)

First, I gathered the ingredients:


4 Tbsp chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil
Garlic salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp white cooking wine (optional, I passed since I didn't have any)
2 Tbsp milk or cooking creme (optional, but I used cooking creme since I had)
     (this makes the filling smoother)
2 small cans of mixed vegetables, drained with liquid reserved (I guess a large     can would work)
1 peeled and seeded small tomato, chopped (As you can see in the pic, my tomato was large, but I only used the equivalent of a small one.)
2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
1 egg

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in sauce pan (I used my wok since I try to use less dishes), sauté onion until soft. Add spices and optional wine creme/milk.

2. Add remaining ingredients and mix. If very dry, add some of the vegetable liquid.


3. Separate refrigerated flaked biscuits. (The kind I used came 8 to the can.) Divide each biscuit into 4 layers.

4. Coat large muffin tin with cooking spray. Line with 1-2 biscuit layers. (I used a regular size tin which meant I had smaller space to cover with the layers.)

5. Spoon in the filling mixture and top with the remaining 2 biscuit layers. Crimp edges to seal, but pierce the tops to vent.

6. Brush on egg white wash.

7. Cook in preheated 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.


These had way more taste than the store bought frozen kind, and a ton less sodium! 

No comments:

Post a Comment