Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 16: Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

Off and on this week, I will be featuring desserts and goodies, gearing up for Valentine's Day. (Also, the ladies group at my church is having our annual chocolate extravaganza! So, gotta prep for that, too!)


Look how pretty that looks!

The best candy, to me, is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I love them. They are perfect!

I was thrilled to find a recipe to make them any time I wanted them. (Also a little scared because the ability to make them whenever is a dangerous thing!)

Anyway, you simply melt the chocolate, add the little something extra, and "paint" the sides and bottom of mini cupcake wrappers. (I have silicone ones, so I made giant cups.) Then you chill them in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set them.

Next you mix together the peanut butter center and make a bunch of small balls with the mix and place one in each chocolate cup. (You want them the size that will fill each cup about 3/4 full.)

(I wish I had pics of the whole process! I'll probably add those later when I make these again, and I WILL be making these again, SOON!)

Then you spoon more chocolate on top and around each cup. Back into the freezer for another 10 minutes to set up the rest of the way.

Turn out onto wax paper. Enjoy!

Make as many as you want and they can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks and freezer for up to a month. (No way this stuff would last more than a couple days around me. Dangerous!)

Ingredients:

16 ounces milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy works best, but creamy tastes just as good)
1/4 cup more peanut butter for chocolate
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (add a little more if mixture isn't stiff enough)
3/4 stick butter (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Melt the chocolate, either in a double boiler or a bowl over a saucepan. Stir in 1/4 cup of the peanut butter until the mixture is smooth.

2. Using the back of a spoon, "paint" the bottoms and sides of the wrappers.

3. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.

4. While chocolate cups are chilling, in another bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla thoroughly. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until the mixture is stiff enough to form into balls.

*Optional* You could place the peanut butter balls into the freezer for 10 minutes to set them a little before moving on. Just makes the next step a little easier.

5. Place a peanut butter ball into each cup and slightly squish it down. Don't squish it completely, just flatten it a little.

6. Take a spoon and fill in the rest of each cup with chocolate.

7. Place back in freezer for another 20 minutes to finish setting.

8. Turn cups out onto waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment