Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 24: Ginger Chicken


The first time I made this, we had just gotten back from Disney World and I was freshly missing the stuff we ate at the luau at the Polynesian. Somehow, I mixed up something in the ingredients and the marinade turned out really really pasty. Not a total loss, but definitely not what we had had at Disney! And, oh so very salty. I had to boil all the sauce off the chicken so we could eat it.

I was devastated! In almost 20 years of cooking, I have only ruined 2 dishes. That's roughly out of 7,300 (give or take), I've messed up twice! So, heartbreak!

OK, so it was mostly out of obsessive compulsion that just upset me. Whatever! I was a mess emotionally!

And, having a bit of OCD, I had to get this dish right and recreate what we had had! I had to make Disney proud! (Or myself, shut up!)

Anyway! The second time I made it, I was extra careful to measure out the precise ingredients! I changed nothing! And, somehow, it came out perfect! I have absolutely no idea what happened that first time, but this time it was spot on! The ginger marinade glazed amazingly, the chicken was juicy, and not at all salty! Go me! Persistence wins the day! Or OCD... Shhh!

Jason and Jay were glad I stuck it out and they actually fought over the leftovers.

The worst part of this recipe is the 12 hour marinade and then the 40 minutes bake time, but it is very much worth it!

Ingredients:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp granulated onion
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp ground ginger
To taste hot chili sauce (I used about 1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp minced garlic
Pinch black pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp Five spice blend (cinnamon, fennel, anise seed, crushed pepper, ginger)
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

1. If using fresh ginger, wash peel and mince it. Peel and mince the garlic if using fresh, too.

2. In a food processor, or a blender, combine ginger, garlic, bay leaf, soy sauce, dijon mustard, chili sauce, granulated onion, black pepper, salt, five spices and cumin.

3. Blend at medium speed until smooth and pasty then slowly add the canola oil. Taste the marinade to make sure it isn't too salty. If needed add another tablespoon of the oil.

4. Add the marinade to the chicken in a Ziploc baggie, mix well and store in the refrigerator for 12 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and place chicken in a roasting pan.

6. Bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken is a nice golden brown color and the internal temperature is 165 degrees (F).

7. Baste the chicken in the juice before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment